(1)
(i) Peter's story: Page 2
A. Other options available:
(a) Peter could have stuck with his decision to award a fail grade.
(b) Peter could have allowed more time for the student to re-sit exams.
(c) Peter could have tried to help the student even more (although he, Peter, had already given "both encouragements and warnings").
B. How would I have handled the situation?
- It's hard to say that I would have behaved differently from Peter.
A. Other options available:
(a) Peter could have stuck with his decision to award a fail grade.
(b) Peter could have allowed more time for the student to re-sit exams.
(c) Peter could have tried to help the student even more (although he, Peter, had already given "both encouragements and warnings").
B. How would I have handled the situation?
- It's hard to say that I would have behaved differently from Peter.
C. What values or moral beliefs would have led me to my decision?
- A belief that a person should not be rewarded for doing no work.
- A sense that other students who had worked would be offended to discover that another student received a passing grade despite having done now work.
(ii) Hae Young's story: Page 7
A. Other optiona available:
(a) Award a fail grade
(b) Do some research into the way that Koreans are educated.
B. How would I have handled the situation?
I hope that I'd have been as patient as Bill Johnston.
C. What values or moral beliefs would have led me to my decision?
- A desire to be fair, and to try to understand the way that people from a different culture may think/behave differently.
(iii) Russian student not wearing a clean shirt: Page 19
A. Other options available:
(a) Say nothing.
(b) Offer simple, polite advice on cleaning clothes and using deodorant.
B. How would I have handled the situation?
Talked a little bit about how I handle my own laundry.
C. What values or moral beliefs would have led me to my decision?
- A sense that it is not polite to ridicule/humiliate someone in public.
- A belief that it's common courtesy to be clean and tidy in the company of other people.
Have you ever given a student a grade different from the one he really deserved?
A. I think that I may have awarded a student a higher grade than he really deserved.
Why? Because I felt that he ha tried very hard with a topic that was very difficult for him.
What values or moral reasons were behind your decision?
A. A sense that: where a student has made a great effort, he deserves some reward.
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기